Whenever you create a shortcut in Windows 10, it’ll automatically add an arrow icon overlay within the actual shortcut icon. If you do not enjoy it, here’s how you can remove shortcut arrow from shortcut icons on Windows 10.
Generally, the arrow icon overlay on the shortcut icon can help you quickly differentiate from a file or application along with a shortcut. Without the arrow overlay, you will be hard-pressed to find the distinction between a real file along with a shortcut.
That being, if you’re someone who loves to keep their desktop clean or only has shortcuts around the desktop, you are able to remove the arrow overlay from the shortcut icon. It’s pretty simple to do. Follow the below steps and you should be great.
Remove Shortcut Arrow on Shortcut Icons
To remove the shortcut arrow icon overlay, we have to edit the registry. Before editing the registry, create a registry backup. The backup can help you restore the system contrary bad happens. As an added precaution, produce a system restore point too.
1. Open the beginning menu, search for “Registry Editor” and then click the result to spread out the registry editor.
2. In the registry editor, copy the below path, paste it in the address bar and press Enter. You will be automatically come to the prospective folder.
3. Here, we have to create a new folder. So, right-click on the “Explorer” folder and select “New -> Key” option.
4. Name the brand new folder as “Shell Icons”. This is where we need to create a new value with removes the shortcut arrow.
5. Choose the Shell Icons folder, right-click around the right panel and select “New -> String Value” option.
6. Name the string value as “29”.
7. After creating the string value, double-click onto it. In the new window, copy the below path within the Value Data field and click on the “Ok” button.
8. Reboot Windows system.
That is it. From now on, providing see the arrow icon overlay around the shortcut icons.
Should you ever want to revert back, simply delete the “29” value you created in Step six and you are all set.
(Alternative) Download Registry Keys to Make Things Easier
If you’re not comfortable editing the registry, then download the below file, extract it and double-click on the appropriate registry file either to remove or restore the shortcut arrows.
Once downloaded, extract the folder and you’ll see two registry files in it. To get rid of shortcut arrow, simply execute the “Remove Shortcut Arrow Overlay.reg” file. If you notice a prompt, click the “Yes”/”Ok” button to carry on.
Reboot the system and the arrows will be taken off the shortcut icons.
Should you ever convince you and like to restore the shortcut arrow overlay, double-click on the “Restore Default Shortcut Arrow Overlay.reg” file and you will be good.
That’s it. It is that simple to get rid of shortcut arrow overlay from shortcut icons in Windows 10.