In Windows 10, File Explorer monitors all of the files and folders you’ve ever opened. Follow the below steps to clear recent files and folders in File Explorer in Windows 10.
In case you are wondering, these logged files and folders appear as frequent components of the different places such as the start menu, file explorer, etc., to help you access the commonly used files and folders quickly. As good as it’s, seeing frequent files and folders in the forefront can be a privacy issue. So, if you don’t like this behavior, you can clear recent files and folders list in File Explorer as well as disable the feature entirely.
Like for a lot of things in Windows, you will find multiple ways to clear recent files and folders from File Explorer. All methods achieve the same result. I’ll show two methods. The first uses the built-in options in File Explorer and the second method uses the brand new PC Settings app. Make use of the one you’re confident with.
Method #1: File Explorer Options to Clear Recent Files and Folders
1. First, open File Explorer by searching for it in the start menu or by pressing the keyboard shortcut Win + E.
2. Within the file explorer, click the “View” tab and then click the “Options” button.
3. The above action will open the Folder Options window where one can customize how File Explorer works in Windows 10. Here, be certain that you’re in the “General” tab and then click the “Clear” button under the Privacy section to pay off recent files and folders in File Explorer.
4. (Optional) If you want to, you can stop file explorer from tracking and logging your recent files. To achieve that, uncheck both “Show recently used files in Quick Access” and “Show frequently used folders in Quick Access” options.
5. Click the “Apply” and “Ok” buttons in order to save changes.
That is all. As soon as you click the Clear button, file explorer will delete recent files and folders list. Like I said, if you do not want file explorer to ever show recent files and folders, uncheck the 2 checkboxes underneath the Privacy section.
Method #2: PC Settings App
As a substitute, you may also make use of the PC Settings app to clear recent files and folders in file explorer.
1. Open PC Settings app by pressing the keyboard shortcut Win + I. Alternatively, you can also click the “All Settings” button in the Action Center.
2. In the Settings app, go to the “Personalization -> Start” page. On the right page, toggle the switch under “Show recently opened components of Jump lists on Start or the taskbar and in File Explorer Quick Access” to “OFF” position.
That’s all. Once you switch off, Windows will clear the recent file and folders in File Explorer and disables the feature. Once disabled, Windows will no longer log your frequently accessed files and folders.
That’s all. It is that easy.